Friday, May 11, 2012

Write. It. Down.

One of the very first blogs I ever posted was 10 Rules to Surviving Your First Year in Public Accounting.  I wrote it six years ago and while I am not positive it is still relevant to a first year in public accounting, I do know there are things in there that are still relevant to me - a 12th year CPA.

** Attribution for Picture is listed below.
The part that I am currently thinking about specifically is found in rules 8 and 10 - write it down.  Write it down immediately.

The idea that you will remember things at a later date without making a note is one that I have completely given up on as I get older.  But, now and again, I still think I can do it.  Remember what I was thinking.  I am usually wrong.

Other than documenting events and thoughts as they occur, physically writing things down has also been very helpful in strategic planning and goal setting.  If you think about what you really want out of life - tangible or not - and you write it down, I believe that you are more likely to make it happen.

I don't remember where I read this, but I once read that it takes eighteen months to change your life. Google that phrase and note that all the first page items seem to start with "18 months ago, I..."   If you decide that you want something different, you can work towards making different happen in 18 months!  This is enough time to allow you to meet your current responsibilities and at the same time shift towards your new direction.

If you are honest with yourself about your weaknesses during this planning period, you can use the time to shore up those weaknesses and to begin to showcase your strengths.

By giving yourself a reasonable time frame combined with making a plan (writing it down) you can stop thinking I have to change and start the process of making the change.

I know it worked for me:  six and a half years ago, I decided I was going to be my own boss.  I am now in my fifth year of running Romano P.C.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sad that this post is not about accounting today?  Actually, it is - it is about managing your career  and yourself to get a great return on life.  Which is especially important for accountants.

**The picture used above is from an article that relates to the title of the post - Just Write It Down And Take Control Of Your MoneyI recommend reading this article for a look into writing things down and personal finances.

2 comments:

  1. Running a nonprofit organization will not be precisely the same as operating a traditional profit-driven business. A nonprofit purpose is to further a mission with the public interest so its success is measured in a different way than in a for-profit business.

    starting a non profit organization

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading the article above, really explains everything in detail. Your article is very interesting and effective. Thank you and good luck for the upcoming articles.
    bookkeeping services in London

    ReplyDelete