Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Business Plans - it's the Journey not the Destination

There is some question about whether business plans are a good use of your time and energy. They do eventually go on a shelf and there they gather the dust. I don't know all the answers, but I can share my story. I started my firm on October 15, 2007. For the months of July and August, I spent every spare second working on a business plan. I started with a template from http://www.score.org/ and went from there.

I have always been a creative writer, but the template I used would not let me skip around the parts where I was most weak. Marketing, marketing, marketing. I can sell a client on what I do, but can I identify who that client is and make them come to me? Truth be told, I have been fortunate in referrals, but without the plan, I would have been less focused and really gotten myself in trouble early on with some work that came my way that was not in the "plan". As it was, I turned some of those jobs down, and actually earned some respect from my peers who thought I was really "brave". I look back now and laugh - it was a risk, but I had a plan, and it is in my head and I stick to it. As an aside, I did end up hiring a marketing consultant who was really helpful and who kept me on track. Hire to your weaknesses!!!!

I think the point of the business plan is the process of figuring out what you can do and what you are going to need to buy. I also believe that the discipline required to write the plan is an important indicator of your commitment to the business. Running a business is not easy - I often consider it my second marriage. In the business plan stage, I was planning the wedding - with so many things to think about and do, and yes, a lot of trepidation about what this type of commitment would mean going forward. But on the day I left my "job" and woke up, I knew what to do first because I had the plan. And just like in my marriage, we just went forward and did it. And we keep going.

Oh, and the important information - I did secure funding with my plan, and the loan officer relayed his supervisor's words, "They have to have a comprehensive plan or they have NO chance." I am not sure that is true, but it sure helped me.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Information. We're accounting firm in Indiana provide accounting services to small and medium sized business. Such information is really helpful for me. could you please write some more as per my business.
    contact us for accounting needs
    bookkeeping services in Indianapolis
    Payroll services in Indianapolis
    CFO services in Greenwood
    CPA firm in chicago
    Accounts payable services in Indianapolis

    ReplyDelete